Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Parineeta

This is about the book by the famous Bengali novelist Sarat Chandra Chatterjee. The meaning of the word parineeta u might be knowing is "The married woman". I happen to get the Kannada translation of the book in a roadside vendor and the moment I saw it I picked it. I was searching for the book from the day I watched the movie by the same name and based on the very novel. Worth buying or begging or even stealing!!

The story revolves around 3 characters Lalitha, Shekhar and Gireendra. The story I don want to tell here since I presume that you have seen the movie. Though the flow in the novel is different from the one in the movie the total story remains the same. But the best part of the book is (I here can take the liberty to compare the two different media because I’ve seen the movie and just finished the book!) the narration. Such a free flowing story it is that I couldn't stop for even a minute before finishing it.

It might not be one among the best stories, but certainly one of the few I enjoyed reading. (My all time fav though, is a Kannada story "ಮತ್ತೆ ಮಳೆ ಹೊಯ್ಯುತಿದೆ, ಎಲ್ಲ ನೆನಪಾಗುತಿದೆ" by K. Sadashiva, on which I’m planning to write a few lines in the future). And that too the invisibly flowing love between Lalitha and Shekhar. There is a love between them but till the end it is not expressed explicitly and that I enjoyed the most. Even when they get married accidentally, they never express their love to the other also.

The story takes twist when a third person Gireendra enters. He, though a very good person, doesn't know about this love and he innocently tries to woo Lalitha. He helps her uncle by giving money to save the house and becomes successful in getting uncle's support to marry her. But in the end the true love prevails!

Ok I am not taking the side of anyone in this story and I’ve tried my level best to stand neutral while commenting. I just liked the writer, for being successfully able to portray the image of the poor and simple girl Lalitha, and the rich-yet-good-hearted Shekhar and their genuine love. The story is so romantic I feel that, I just want something like that to happen in my life also!!!

Ya I should write also about the translator "Gurunatha Joshi". The guy has done a wonderful job in putting very good words and sentences. I haven't and cant read the original Bengali script but the Kannada translated version is simply too good.

Try once if u have the habit of reading. Worth spending an hour (or less) if u r my kind of person!

Chao

1 Comments:

Blogger Shashi Dodderi ಹೇಳಿದ್ದು..

keep reading this kind of stories but dont watch that movie

October 10, 2006 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home